Hello BEST-ers,

College programs across the United States have been selling different organic and local products to help fund their agricultural school. The money is also used to repair agricultural equipment or update structures. Students at Berea College in Kentucky have been raising hogs and selling them. It was not enough to fund the students' wages and rent (they have a tuition-free college), and the students have decided to change that. They have instead focused on making their business smaller but more profitable by concentrating on meat products instead of selling whole hogs.

This is just one school's story. To read about other schools using organic methods to sustain their agriculture departments, check out the full story here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/education/edlife/selling-the-campus-farm.html

I wonder if it would be possible for the UF College of Agricultural and Life Sciences to have a student-run farm like these schools. As far as I know, we do not have an entrepreneurial student farm. It'd be cool to see students getting hands-on experience as a part of their curriculum. However, UF does have the Student Agricultural Gardens and the Organic Garden area for students to grow their own food.

Happy Tuesday!
Jacquelyn