Hi John,

I would consider asking them what other people or services did they access
for academic support (faculty office hours, friends, outside "professional"
tutors, etc.). I would also ask if they received the grade they wanted and
expected for their courses, did they feel as though they prepared enough
(spent enough time on task) for their courses and perhaps even a question
about what study skill did they use that was the most effective for them.

Best,
Roberta

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Cleveland, Prof. John P. <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Beginning last semester, I reached out to student by email who had been
> flagged in our first alerts program as having academic difficulty and
> encouraged them to come for tutoring.  A recent assessment of one of the
> outreached showed that at least one group of students did not come for
> tutoring.  I would like to put together a small focus group of them and
> send them a brief survey.  Besides the obvious question of why they did not
> come for tutoring, what other questions should I ask?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> John Cleveland
>
> John P. Cleveland, M.T.S., M.A.
> Director, Tutoring Center
> Center for Academic Excellence
> & Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy and Religious
> Studies
> Pace University
> 41 Park Row, Room 204
> New York, NY  10038
> (212)346-1407 (phone)
> (212)346-1520 (fax)
> www.pace.edu/tutoring
> [division logo.jpg]
> [Facebook Badge]<
> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Student-Success-at-Pace-University/55512637522
> >[twitter_logo_header]<http://twitter.com/PaceSUCCESS>

> browser to

Roberta Schotka, Director of Programs, PLTC
Wellesley College
phone:781-283-2675
fax: 781-283-3709
College Reading & Learning Association
Assistant Coordinator of Certified Programs