Frank,

At our center, we utilize a meta client for instant messaging:  Pidgin.im

This allows our students to contact us through whatever service they
choose, including:  Windows Live!, Yahoo! IM, ICQ, Skype, Gtalk, AIM,  and
Facebook Messenger.

Our virtual classroom space has a built in Voice over IP client, so we
don't have to rely on Skype or one of the stand alone programs to have
voice-to-voice communication with our students.

By using the meta client, this allows the tutoring staff to play the dual
role of drop-in tutor both in the physical space as well as the digital
one.   A student IMs the Learning Center's account, and a tutor gauges
whether or not their inquiry warrants moving to the virtual classroom space.

Was this along the lines of what you were asking?

Ben Smith
Tutoring Services Coordinator
Center for Learning and Teaching / SSS
Binghamton University