Hi Jane,
I'm  interested in all topics reading related. So your question caught
my eye.

I'm curious abut the first question from Randolp and what prompted it.
I don't think we know much about the actual use of texts in courses--
at least in the ways I'd like to know about  them.

While reading a book  review (http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?id=277&fulltext=1)I
  came across this tidbit:
"Even among English majors in the University of California, half say
they do less than 80 percent of the assigned reading in their courses.
If English majors do not read, what can we expect of business or
communications majors? The answer is, not much. Nearly two-thirds of
all UC students said they do less than 80 percent of the reading for
their classes." In my view we are likely approaching an epidemic of
non-reading for college courses (and probably high school, too). Some
of the reasons for this non-reading actually lie with faculty, but
that's another story

I realize this is not the question you asked, but the amount students
read is surely a factor in their reading achievement.

Best,
Nic

On Apr 23, 2012, at 3:06 PM, Jane Neuburger wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> This interesting question was posted on the Kentucky listserv and is
> relevant to many of us.  Has anyone done recent work on the reading
> levels of graduates?
>
> Please feel free to respond to the listserv or to Dr. Hollingsworth
> directly.  And thank you, all.  J. Neuburger
>

> ". . . .  It raises for me a question about the actual use of
> textbooks and required readings in the everyday postsecondary
> classroom - and series of classes toward a particular major. Has
> anyone done research on the reading skill levels of our
> postsecondary ed graduates? Do the reading levels of our successful
> graduates relate in a significantly statistical way to 6-year
> graduation rates in a particular institution?
>

>> Randolph
>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>> Randolph Hollingsworth, Ph.D.
>
>> Assistant Provost
>
>> University of Kentucky
>
>> 551 Patterson Office Tower
>
>> Lexington, KY  40506-0027  USA
>
>> 859-257-3027  FAX 323-1932
>
>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  SL: Bella Yan
>

> Jane A. Neuburger
> Director, Tutoring & Study Center
> Syracuse University
> 111 Waverly Avenue Suite 220