I'm looking forward to seeing Leonard's technique.  It sounds very effective.

A quick and dirty strategy that I provide students is the following:

1.  Preview the material before you start to read, and come up with questions you want the passage to answer. (Previewing involves looking at the bold face print, italicized words, charts, graph, etc.  OR reading the first sentence of each paragraph if there are no markers in the text).

2.  Read just the first paragraph.  Stop and put this information in your own words.

3.  Read the second paragraph, put that information in your own words, and integrate the information from the first paragraph.

4.  Do the each successive paragraph the same way.

Although it seems that steps  2, 3, 4... will make the reading take a long time, students consistently report that they spend LESS time doing the reading.  Before adopting this "active reading" technique, they found themselves reading and re-reading passages with little comprehension.  This strategy makes them move through the reading more slowly, but they are UNDERSTANDING as they go along, and not having their minds wander.

Both undergraduate and graduate students have seen their test scores significantly increase using this technique.  But I haven't done the controlled research that Leonard has done to prove its effectiveness.

It's really easy to teach to students, and easy for them to implement.  They seem to be happy with the results they get.

Have a great weekend,
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Learning, Teaching, and Retention
Professor, Department of Chemistry
135A T Boyd
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803