I was wondering the same thing. From my experience giving workshops on study skills and tutoring students, I hear all the time that they don't read their textbooks. Often they say they don't have to, but I wonder if they just think they don't have to. I also wonder if instructors know that their students are not reading the textbooks. In my reading classes, I prepare them to read textbooks, but they keep telling me they have no reading assignments. Most students tell me that they did not have to read in high school, and they do not read for enjoyment at all.

Pam Krueger
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jane Neuburger [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 2:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: reading levels of college graduates

Dear Colleagues,
This interesting question was posted on the Kentucky listserv and is relevant to many of us.  Has anyone done recent work on the reading levels of graduates?

Please feel free to respond to the listserv or to Dr. Hollingsworth directly.  And thank you, all.  J. Neuburger

". . . .  It raises for me a question about the actual use of textbooks and required readings in the everyday postsecondary classroom - and series of classes toward a particular major. Has anyone done research on the reading skill levels of our postsecondary ed graduates? Do the reading levels of our successful graduates relate in a significantly statistical way to 6-year graduation rates in a particular institution?

> Randolph

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Randolph Hollingsworth, Ph.D.

> Assistant Provost

> University of Kentucky

> 551 Patterson Office Tower

> Lexington, KY  40506-0027  USA

> 859-257-3027  FAX 323-1932

> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  SL: Bella Yan

Jane A. Neuburger
Director, Tutoring & Study Center
Syracuse University
111 Waverly Avenue Suite 220