We offer the preponderance of our tutoring in our centralized labs with peer tutors in locations affiliated with the departments throughout campus.  The satellite locations for the peer tutors work well in some cases and poorly in others.  For example, all of our College of Business tutors recently needed to be relocated to our central facility because the space where they were working was needed for a series of meetings for the last 1.5 months of the term.  We eventually gave up on the chemistry tutors in their department library because it was so loud in there that the tutor and students could barely hear each other and were competing for workspace with students.  Since space is at a premium in our University, and most of them from what I gather, it also became problematic and a biannual struggle with faculty liaisons to place the tutors.  That much being said, there are too many students for our lab space, so being able to offer some overflow is a nice option, but I wouldn't want to run the Center that way given an option.

The other notes people have made about ability to supervise, evaluate, log in and log out students are all viable as well.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Director, Peer Tutoring Program
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student"

Thought of the day:  "To think is to differ."  -- Clarence Darrow