Hi Elaine and all, at the College of Charleston we are just wrapping up Cougar Countdown, a 10 day schedule of stress-relieving activities and study breaks for students, beginning on the last day of classes and going through the end of exams. We have several 'big' events at key times during the week, such as:

--Pancakes with the President! (President Benson and his exec VPs serve pancakes to students outside the library all morning)
--Ask a Prof! (professors from a variety of departments congregate in a common space in the library so that students can ask questions)
--Chill on the Green! (a giant ice cream party on the green space outside the library on the evening of the first day of exams)
--Pets for Less Stress--Puppies on the Green! (a local shelter brings puppies and puppy pens so students can sit outside an pet them for a few minutes)

but there are lots of other events as well, like yoga and Zumba, mini-massages, morning, afternoon, and evening Study Breaks, and free coffee every morning on the green outside the library.

I have a small--but very much appreciated!--budget that is paid half by Academic Affairs and half by Student Affairs that gets me started on printing costs, giveaway items, etc., and an increasing number of offices are sponsoring events--coffee breaks, a yoga class, etc--they can sponsor for as little as $30 and as much as $2000!

The students are incredibly appreciative and really seem to enjoy these healthy breaks. And it is a great collaboration between Student Affairs and Academic Affairs--a win-win!

Feel free to borrow any ideas and make them your own, and let me know if you need any more info. I would love for you to check out the Cougar Countdown facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/CofCCountdown

Lindy

Lindy Coleman
Coordinator, Study Skills program