Dear Michelle,
According to the 1973 legislation, what you call a "writing tutor" is actually an accommodation to help the student with the physical mechanics of writing if your student is physically unable to hold and move a pencil or type or key in characters. If the problem is not physical, then a tutor is appropriate. Usually, institutions have to hire staff, peers or professionals, to perform that function.  We tried to keep the tutoring separate from accommodations because tutoring was funded either by TRIO or by student service fees while anything termed accommodation by statute had to be funded by the institution without charge to the student.
I hope this helps.
Sissy Campbell