From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nic Voge
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What tutoring is (and is not)

Hi Christel,
I think this is a very common issue that comes in lots of varieties.
Not only is college work different than high school work, but, correspondingly, college tutoring is as well, especially if it is being provided by the institution rather than a private provider.  Our goals are aligned with the institutional goals and those include independence, and self-direction.

One way to communicate these expectations is by articulating how students can get the most from tutoring and what kind of tutoring will serve the student best in the long run. Our is a different kind of tutoring context, granted, but the following is one way we shape students' expectations about tutoring on campus.
Best,
Nic

Getting the Most out of Study Hall Group Tutoring

Work toward mastering concepts and skills rather than focusing on obtaining the answers to specific questions.  The tutor's role is to guide you in this process. Think ahead to the exam and use homework problems to learn the skills necessary to solve exam-level (harder than homework) questions on your own.

Expect the tutors to ask you questions about the material!  Explaining what you know and talking through your approach, research on learning shows, is more valuable than hearing an explanation from a tutor.

Study Hall is a group tutoring format, so you will be expected-and prompted by your tutor-to work with classmates. You should definitely work independently as well, but working collaboratively offers unique opportunities to learn from others and check your understanding of
concepts, techniques and specific problems Come      prepared and use
the group setting to achieve the mastery Princeton exams demand.

Try to avoid waiting until the day before an assignment is due to seek tutoring. Many students use Study Hall to check their answers and build on their understanding AFTER completing problem sets on their own. Spend a few hours each day keeping up with your assignments; it is easier to keep up than to catch up!
On Apr 26, 2012, at 3:42 PM, Christel A Taylor wrote:

> I work closely with our Coordinator of Accessibility Services. We have
> run into several situations recently where her students (and their
> families) have expectations of tutoring that don't match what we
> actually provide. For instance, one current student had a tutor for
> every single class in high school. What this meant is that she had
> someone work with her on all her homework, for every single class.
> Rather than try to do her homework on her own and come to the tutor
> with the things she found challenging, she simply always had a tutor
> on hand when doing her homework. She now expects her tutor to go
> through every single problem with her and is then frustrated when they
> run out of time.
>
> We are looking for a simple way to communicate with our students and
> families to help them have appropriate expectations of our tutoring
> services. I thought I'd check to see if anyone on this list has
> something like this already that they might be willing to share to get
> my brainstorming started.
>
> Thanks!
> Chris
>
> Christel Taylor
> Director of Learning Services
> Student Success Center - HL 122
> Mount Mary College
> 2900 North Menominee River Parkway
> Milwaukee, WI 53222
>
> Phone: 414-258-4810, ext. 373
> Fax: 414-256-0181
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> http://www.mtmary.edu/
>
> ~connectedness~empathy~intellection~strategic~learner~
>
> "We are learning that a standard of social ethics is not attained by
> traveling a sequestered byway, but by mixing on the thronged and
> common road where all must turn out for one another, and at least see
> the size of one another's burdens"
>
> ~Jane Addams, Democracy and Social Ethics

__________________________________
Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
(609)258-6921
http://www.princeton.edu/mcgraw/us/

Associate Director
McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning
328C Frist Campus Center
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

Individual Appointment Times:
By appointment for Fall  2011

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any access, use, disclosure or distribution of this email message by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is unauthorized and prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient (or an agent acting on an intended recipient?s behalf), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and immediately destroy all copies of the original message. Virus scanning is recommended on all email attachments.