I went through a similar experience as you, Saundra, and felt I needed
to stop using the cone.

Instead, I share some results from peer reviewed studies with my tutors.

For a classic: Bloom (1953) shows how students in lecture classes have
more distracted thoughts than those in discussion-based classes.

I also like Lake (2001) where an instructor notes that students in a
course with discussion do better than those in a standard
lecture-based course [it was the same instructor... different
semesters] BUT the students in the lecture class thought both the
course and instructor were more effective.  It generates a discussion
that even though it's good for our students to talk out their thinking
process, they may not like it.

Best,
-Marcia

Bloom, B. S. (1953). Thought processes in lecture and discussion.
Journal of General Education, 7,
160169.

Lake, D. A. (2001). Student performance and perceptions of a
lecture-based course compared with the
same course utilizing group discussion. Physical Therapy, 81(3), 896902.