From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jered Wasburn-Moses
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 11:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: General tutors vs. content-specific tutors

Christine:

Last fall I started the Success Skills Center at my institution. For budgetary reasons, it is staffed by "cross-over" Writing and Math Center tutors who also have undergone (some) training in general success skills (time management, study habits, test-taking strategies, etc.).

One great positive of this program is that it has created a real working relationship with our Early Alert program-they are very excited about the new Center, and are quick to refer students over to us.

I would say there are two major challenges with the program: marketing and training. Students are much less likely to recognize and admit that they need help with generalized skills than with specific content area-they seem to have the attitude that they should already know this stuff, or should be able to work it out on their own, and so the stigma factor is even higher than for other types of tutoring. On the training end, I've found that unlike content-area tutoring, it's very difficult to identify tutors who already have good "content knowledge" (i.e. good "success skills"), and it's sometimes difficult for them to "step outside themselves" and think about what might work for a different student.

Because of this latter difficulty, I've lately been changing the way I approach Success Skills appointments. I have been taking / sitting in on / co-tutoring as many of these sessions as I can for initial intake, and then slowly handing them off to tutors for "maintenance"/"tweaking". I'm still trying to decide for next year whether to put our Success Skills tutors on the schedule directly (we use TutorTrac and students make their own appointments), or to funnel all intake through me and then assign tutees to tutors after things are moving.

At the same time, I will have a much more focused training this time around. Last fall the training was somewhat informal, because (a) it was difficult to diagnose ahead of time what tutors already knew or could practice, and (b) it was difficult to predict ahead of time what the clientele would be for the services. Now that I have a better handle on both, I will be working on a training manual this spring/summer for the new training in August.

Any suggestions/experiences from others on the list about intake arrangements would be most helpful!

Jered Wasburn-Moses
Math Center Coordinator
Success Skills Coordinator
Learning Assistance Programs