From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nic Voge
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Variations on workshop and/or individual consultation?

Hello all,
Has anyone experimented with variations on workshops or one-to-one learning consultations in which they convene a small group of students for a group consultation focused on approaches to learning in a particular course? I'm imagining, for instance, a group of 4-5 students all enrolled in the same course sitting down not for a study session but a course-specific brainstorm of an integrated set of strategies targeted to the specific content, design and assesment of the course. I suppose one can also think of it as a hybrid between a study group and an adjunct study strategies course.

If you've done anything like this, how did you get the word out at the most apt time? I suppose right before exams would garner the most interest, but I'm not thinking of it as an exam review. Also, what kind of response did you get.

All ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
Nic

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge