We are also almost identical to Janet's response. (Thanks for doing the typing,
Janet:)

The only thing I would add is that I won't hire one tutor for one student for
one class. We serve over 500 students per semester in appointment based
tutoring, so that form of hiring would quickly make the program almost
unmanageable. This doesn't mean I won't look -- but I look for people who can
also tutor other classes, or speak with the course professor to get a feel for
whether we can anticipate further requests for that class. And, because the
search/interview/training process takes so long, if it's past the midway point
in the semester, I typically don't hire. In my experience, tutors who are hired
through those "quick-fix" tutor searches don't tend to stay on staff beyond
that semester. It's also hard for me to replicate the group training exercises
that we do at the big training at the beginning of the year. I used to feel
guilty about that, but recently I've come to the realization that tutoring
represents only one hour out of 6-10 hours/week that the student should be
spending with the material -- so it can't be the magic bullet. If I can't fill
the request, I will direct the student to other resources like academic
coaching or drop-in help sessions (if appropriate), but there are times (maybe
2-3 per semester) that we just can't fill a request.

Thea

Thea Brophy
Academic Counselor/Tutor Coordinator
Office of Academic Services
Calvin College
1845 Knollcrest Circle SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Phone: 616.526.6077
Fax: 616.526.7066
www.calvin.edu/academic/services/
>>> Joy Deleon <[log in to unmask]> 4/12/2012 4:15 PM >>>
We are almost identical to Janet's response.  Joy

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Janet Pinkham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We advertise that we provide peer tutoring in *most* 100- and 200-level
> courses, as well as select upper-level courses.  Although students may
> request a peer tutor at any point through the 12th week of the semester
> (our semesters are 16 weeks long), early requests are encouraged as
> available tutoring slots are limited. Requests are filled on a first-come,
> first-served basis.  If a student comes to the ASC seeking tutoring after
> the 12th week, we offer to meet with him/her individually to discuss study
> skills, test-preparation and time management strategies.  We also urge the
> student to meet with his/her professor during office hours to discuss
> course content, etc.  If tutoring is requested in a course for which we do
> not have a tutor on staff, we invite the student to complete an application
> for tutoring services and tell him/her that we will be in touch when *and**
> **if* we are able to successfully recruit and hire a tutor.
>
> Best wishes!
>
> Janet Pinkham
> Director, Academic Support Center
> Hope College
> PO Box 9000
> Holland, MI  49422-9000
>
> Tel. (616) 395-7830
> Fax (616) 395-7617
> Email  [log in to unmask]
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Alsace Toure <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Good afternoon.
> >
> > Do any of you have a policy regarding courses that you do or do not
> > provide tutoring?  And also do you have an end date that students can
> > request a tutor for a subject you do not have a tutor?  We have a student
> > that has come with less than one week left, and it takes about two weeks
> > hire and train a tutor.  Any information you can provide regarding your
> > policies would be helpful.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Alsace Touré, Director
> > The Learning Center & Disability Services
> > Baldwin-Wallace College
> > Room 207, Ritter Library
> > 275 Eastland Road
> > Berea, OH 44017-2088
> > Direct: 440.826.5936
> > Office: 440.826.2147
> > Fax: 440.826.3832
> > Email: [log in to unmask]
> >
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE/FERPA PRIVACY RULE:  This message may contain
> > information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
> > under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this
> > message, please do not disclose, forward, distribute, copy, or use this
> > message or its contents. If you have received this communication in
> error,
> > please notify me immediately by return e-mail and delete the original
> > message from your e-mail system. Thank you.

> [...]

Joy

Joy de Leon
Assistant Dean of Students
Director, Learning Enrichment and Disability Services
Beloit College
700 College Street
Beloit, WI 53511
(608) 363-2572 (office)