From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Briggs, Dorothy A - (dabriggs)
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tutor Evaluation -- open for discussion!

Several years ago I wrote an article for the CRLA Learning Assistance Center Management Special Interest Group newsletter about evaluating tutors.  It generated some discussion and sharing of ideas.

Last week, at the Redrock Conference a woman asked for a TutorTrac report that showed student grade and tutor's name.  Someone in the group asked her why she needed such a report.  She replied that she wanted to use it to evaluate her tutors.  Kelly Corder, the CEO of Redrock, sagely commented that he was not aware of a correlation between student grades and tutor.  The woman responded with, "if the tutor met with 10 students and they all failed I'd want to look more closely at that tutor."

That comment has been echoing in my mind for the last 4 days.  Because it is nearing the end of the semester for many of us, maybe it's time we begin a discussion of effective ways to evaluate tutors.  The discussion can benefit us all.  How do you evaluate your tutoring staff?  Have your methods changed over time?

Thanks!
Dorothy

Dorothy  Briggs
Certified Learning Center Professional-Level 3 Director, THINK TANK
(520)626-1904
thinktank.arizona.edu

[cid:[log in to unmask]]