Let's add another non-mythical element to the discussion.  If I am an administrator/taxpayer/tuition-payer, why am I funding a tutoring program?  What gains/good will/grades/retention/etc. am I expecting to get for my dollars?  And if my goals are inappropriate, how can the tutoring providers help me see things differently?

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Mcleod
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TUTOR EVALUATION & Grades

With so many variables in regards to the evaluation of tutors, we do not use grades to evaluate our peer tutors.  We do track the performance of the students who attend any and all of our programming.  Our tutors are observed at least twice a year and we ask them to do a self-evaluation at the beginning and at the end of the semester.  This self-evaluation is written and usually takes around 30 minutes to complete.  Our level 3 Master tutors observe and mentor (not formal) our level 2 tutors and level 1 tutors. Our Level 2 tutors, in turn, observe and work with our  level 1 tutors.  Our graduate assistant, works closely with the tutors to maintain this process and he and I both do observations as well.  After each observation, we meet to discuss the observations and then meet with tutors.  In addition, we provide two surveys to faculty and the students who attend our program, one at half semester and one at the end of the semester to allow their input into how we are doing a!
 nd to how we can improve.  All of this allows our program to maintain a high level of continuity as well as providing us with feedback.

Mike

Michael F. McLeod
Coordinator for Tutorial Services; Instructor, CU-101 Class of 1956 Academic Success Center Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634
 864 656-6216 (O)
ATP Board Member