Hi All,

I'd like to offer a little advice to Christel and then raise a separate but related question.

Christel, it would probably be helpful for you and the student's tutor, maybe her parents as well, to meet to discuss what is and isn't appropriate in a college-level tutoring context.  Then walk through a list of what the student's responsibilities are prior to the session and after it.  Give examples to illustrate the process.  Explain how the emphases now must be on concepts and processes vs. content to help the student become an independent learner and ultimately professional.  Empathize with her on the difficulties of the transition but stand firm on the raised expectations now that she is in college.  I might even offer her the option of some counseling support if it seems that she is really struggling with this transition emotionally as it may be partly a maturity issue as well, particularly if she has been in a situation where her accommodations have been sheltering.  It seems like she's committed to doing well and possesses a positive attitude.  It's likely a matter of maturity more than anything else, which is something that you can honestly reassure her that many of her classmates are also experiencing in different ways.

For my separate question:  How do you help faculty and staff at your schools understand the difference between tutoring and teaching and why someone who may be a great faculty member may not be a good fit as a tutor?  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA

Director, Center for Learning Resources

Director, Peer Tutoring Program

Safe Zone Ally

116 Marvin K. Peterson Library

University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"

300 Boston Post Road

West Haven, CT  06516

Phone:  (203) 932-7415

Fax:  (203) 931-6013

E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “To think is to differ.”  -- Clarence Darrow