The Minnesota Association for Developmental Association produces a great
brochure entitled College Readiness. You can access this on their website
www.mnade.org/readiness. The pdf has some excellent talking points when
working with students concerning the differences between high school and
college. I use this as a basis for my conversations with parents during
summer orientations.

Debbi Fetner

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Christel A Taylor <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I work closely with our Coordinator of Accessibility Services. We have run
> into several situations recently where her students (and their families)
> have expectations of tutoring that don't match what we actually provide.
> For instance, one current student had a tutor for every single class in
> high school. What this meant is that she had someone work with her on all
> her homework, for every single class. Rather than try to do her homework on
> her own and come to the tutor with the things she found challenging, she
> simply always had a tutor on hand when doing her homework. She now expects
> her tutor to go through every single problem with her and is then
> frustrated when they run out of time.
>
> We are looking for a simple way to communicate with our students and
> families to help them have appropriate expectations of our tutoring
> services. I thought I'd check to see if anyone on this list has something
> like this already that they might be willing to share to get my
> brainstorming started.
>
> Thanks!
> Chris
>
> Christel Taylor
> Director of Learning Services
> Student Success Center - HL 122
> Mount Mary College
> 2900 North Menominee River Parkway
> Milwaukee, WI 53222
>
> Phone: 414-258-4810, ext. 373
> Fax: 414-256-0181
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> http://www.mtmary.edu/
>
> ~connectedness~empathy~intellection~strategic~learner~
>
> "We are learning that a standard of social ethics is not attained by
> traveling a sequestered byway, but by mixing on the thronged and common
> road where all must turn out for one another, and at least see the size of
> one another's burdens"
>
> ~Jane Addams, Democracy and Social Ethics

> browser to

*Debra (Debbi) McLellan Fetner, EdD*

*NCLCA Certified Learning Center Professional—Level 3 *
*

1597 Headquarters Plantation Drive
Johns Island, SC   29455  USA
843.343.8869 (cell)