Sara:

No, not prescriptive at all, with an asterisk or two (discussed below). In fact, as far as I can tell, nothing offered by Early Alert here is prescriptive. But when we (I) started the program and shopping it around to various potential interested parties, it was really EA who bought into it more than anyone else. This is, I'm sure, at least partially because they're in close physical proximity to our office, but also because our services and their clientele are a natural fit. From our perspective, they are a great source of referrals-as I said below, getting students in the door is a real challenge for this program in particular. From their perspective, we offer something that they can't easily offer: recurring, in-depth appointments to develop a focused set of skills.

So, what have been the outcomes of this collaboration? Well, of course some of their clients have received some assistance from us in time management and study skills. Beyond that, I have set them up with a TutorTrac (limited) administrative account so that they can track their students' attendance of all tutoring sessions. (Before, they could refer students to tutoring, but never really knew about follow-through.) They have asked us to add financial literacy/planning to our list of services, and have offered training and resources to support it. We also wind up connecting with other programs within their department; for instance, I recently worked with our LEAP (single parents) program to give a day-long workshop and discussion session. We also are considering collaboration on a course (to be taught through our department) targeting certain at-risk populations.

Asterisk: Some of the other programs within Early Alert's department include various kinds of grants and scholarships. The current plan is that starting next fall, some of these will be conditional upon participation in Success Skills, and for others Success Skills will be added to a menu of services in which recipients are required to participate.

I hope this helps fill in some details; I'm happy to provide more! :-)

Jered Wasburn-Moses
Math Center Coordinator
Success Skills Coordinator
Learning Assistance Programs