** Proprietary **

Elaine et al,
At Columbus State Community College, tutoring is completely decentralized with 90% of it offered by Adjunct Instructors inside the individual departments. We were successful in getting one 175 sq ft space on the first floor of the library during renovations for the Writing Center since it provides writing support across the curriculum for all of the 30,000 students with the exception of ESL and Developmental Writing. Those two departments offer their own tutoring. I would not recommend decentralized tutoring as a general practice because classroom space takes a huge priority over tutoring activities which are able to occupy a classroom when it may not be regularly scheduled during that specific time. There was a study of the best practices in locations done by Bill White some years ago and there are copies of this as well as other more recent collection of center space studies in the Archives of the NCLCA member website. Hope this helps.
David

David Reedy, Ph. D.
(614) 287-2232
Program Coordinator, Title III