Hi Chris (and Other Colleagues with Similar Interest),

I just came across this message. You have probably conducted your workshop, but I thought I'd send this anyways.

I am not sure if you are a user of the ThinkWell-LearnWell Diagram.  If you are not, you may want to consider obtaining a free copy at www.thinkwell-learnwell.com. The diagram is a metacognitive learning tool that helps students achieve the kinds of learning outcocmes your microbiology professor is demanding, and to do so rather efficiently. (FYI - I am the creator of the LearnWell Projects, a company dedicated to tranforming good students into great learners.)

Below is an explanation/diagnosis and an exercise (It will be difficult to explain with the visual aid of the diagram):

"Students cannot solve their academic problems with the same kinds of thinking that created them."
The problem with these students are common among good students. The "simple" solution to their problem is that they need to be able to change how they interact with the content. However, putting this into operation is more challenging. They are skilled at reaching lower-level outcomes. For microbiology, this means that they are able to perform well on exams in which they must only provide a basic recall or explanation of terms and concepts such as Degerming, Sterilization, Antisepsis, etc.

They undoubtedly know the microbiology terms and conceps in isolation,but your professor needs them to be able to apply them to situations, to analyze their effections and interrelatedness and perhaps even evalaute courses of action. This requires a different type of thinking and until these students set different learning destinations, they will never be able to apply what they are learning.

The good news however is that if they use the Think-Well-LearnWell diagram they will be able to set more appropriate learning goals, think differently about the content, and as a consequence reach sufficient outcomes for this class and others. In fact,the ability to toggle our thinking and the insight to know the conditional for which to do so is critical thinking and is essential to problem solving.

I will conclude a 4-week study next week and will make the video and qualitative resulats available. I believe this information will illustrate some very clear and effective exercises for helping students advance their learning.
Would you be interested?

I have attached some student reflections and comments.  See attachment.

Also, I am seeking institutions who would like to conduct parallel studies in the Fall and Spring 2012 semester. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Leonard Geddes
Associate Dean of Co-Curricular Programs
Coordinator of the Learning Commons
Division of Student Life
Lenoir-Rhyne University
www.lr.edu