Dear Janet, Thea, Alsace, and other colleagues,

Even the best prepared tutor trainer cannot pre-plan for each course and
provide
a previously trained tutor ready to perform.  Consider an industrial  arts,
pottery, or
a drama class for example.  Should tutors be trained and prepared even
though few
ever seek assistance?

You can view these comments as an advertisement or 20+ years of
professional
experience, but years ago, Martha Maxwell commented that it would be
wonderful to
select a tutor off-hand (i.e. referred by professor) for a special need if
only we could train
him or her quickly to tutor effectively without doing the  student's work
or creating a disservice.
Later I asked her to review the first draft of Dr. Ross MacDonald's  book,
The Master Tutor: A
Guidebook for More Effective Tutoring.  When she  completed her review she
told me I could
quote her forever for the comment she would want people to know about
Ross's book, namely,

"A tutor would be 100% better off on Monday morning if he or she got a copy
 of The Master
Tutor on Friday night."

Presently 417 institutions internationally are part of our International
Authorized User's
List for having adopted The Master Tutor as their tutor training  text.  A
similar list is
available at our web site for those institutions that have adopted the
pre/post assessment,
The TESAT (Tutor Evaluation and Self Assessment Tool) to validate  tutors'
use of the
12 Step Tutor Cycle.

While the rapid increase in the need for tutoring will certainly hasten the
 need for policies
and, no doubt, eventual hourly charges for specialized tutoring, isn't it
wonderful that a
person can be hired to be a tutor, be pre-tested, read a self-directed
training guidebook
over the weekend, and later be post tested to validate that what  happens
in tutoring is what
we all expected would happen regardless if it involved tutoring with
machines, clay,
or verse/articulation/enunciation and body language.

The point here is tutors can learn to be trained to be effective
independently, provided
they know the outcome will be validated by a pre and post assessment.

I hope this proves valuable for the future preparation of all tutors
internationally.  They can
learn if we provide them with the right resources, almost any time they and
 WE wish.

If I can assist further, kindly let me know.

Collegially,

Peter W.  Stevens
President-The Cambridge Stratford
Study Skills Institute
8560  Main Street
Williamsville, NY 14221
(800) 466-2232
_www.cambridgestratford.com_ (http://www.cambridgestratford.com/)

In a message dated 4/12/2012 4:27:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,