I use several of the methods  discussed by others in assessing/evaluating all tutors: self-evaluation; client surveys; direct observation; informal assessment during training.

When concerns arise-and this has happened only rarely so far-I will look at additional data as the situation warrants, and set targets accordingly. For instance, I have one tutor who currently is "on notice"; a critical piece of data in her case is the (low) number of return appointments by her tutees. I have also targeted her "idle rate" compared to the center as a whole. These data were only considered once a problem was identified through the usual means of assessment, but now form the basis of her ongoing evaluation.

Incidentally, I think we need to be careful in this discussion to distinguish those activities we use to assess<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_assessment> tutors from those we use to evaluate<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_evaluation>. While there certainly is overlap, I think it's useful to view these as separate and distinct practices.

Jered Wasburn-Moses
Math Center Coordinator
Success Skills Coordinator
Learning Assistance Programs