Lin Freeman has an excellent history of social network analysis ("The
Development of Social Network Analysis"), Charles Kadushin's recent book
("Understanding Social Networks") likewise has an exhaustive review of
theoretical antecedents and historical development.

Mustafa Emirbayer has two oft-assigned AJS articles on critiques and
philosophy of social relations and structure: "Manifesto for a Relational
Sociology<http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~emirbaye/Mustafa_Emirbayer/ARTICLES_files/manifesto%20for%20a%20relational%20sociology.pdf>"
and "Network Analysis, Culture, and the Problem of
Agency<http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~emirbaye/Mustafa_Emirbayer/ARTICLES_files/network%20analysis,%20culture,%20and%20the%20problem%20of%20agency.pdf>".
Borgatti and & Halgin also have a recent review article "On Network Theory"
in Organization
Science<http://orgsci.journal.informs.org/content/22/5/1168.abstract?sid=c9950169-91e2-4869-a755-b8169804c401>
.

Barry Wellman's "Computer Networks as Social
Networks<http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/mike-michigan-april1/mike's%20stuff/attach/2031.pdf>"
touches on the intersection and overlaps among online/technological and
offline/social networks.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM, 林枫 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hello everybody!
>
>     I wonder if anyone can provide me some suggestions or clues for any
documents about philosophy of network science, such as epistemology of
network thinking, cognitive mechanisms for recognizing points, lines and
networks, intellectual history of network thinking or network science and
technology. Thanks!

> Feng Lin
> The First Clinical School of Nanjing Medical University, China
> Institute of Linguistic Science and Technology, Nanjing Normal
University, China

the body of the message.

--
Brian C. Keegan
Ph.D. Student - Media, Technology, & Society

Science of Networks in Communities, Laboratory for Collaborative Technology