***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Lin Freeman has an excellent history of social network analysis ("The Development of Social Network Analysis"), Charles Kadushin's recent book ("Understanding Social Networks") likewise has an exhaustive review of theoretical antecedents and historical development.

Mustafa Emirbayer has two oft-assigned AJS articles on critiques and philosophy of social relations and structure: "Manifesto for a Relational Sociology" and "Network Analysis, Culture, and the Problem of Agency". Borgatti and & Halgin also have a recent review article "On Network Theory" in Organization Science.

Barry Wellman's "Computer Networks as Social Networks" touches on the intersection and overlaps among online/technological and offline/social networks.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM, 林枫 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hello everybody!
>
>     I wonder if anyone can provide me some suggestions or clues for any documents about philosophy of network science, such as epistemology of network thinking, cognitive mechanisms for recognizing points, lines and networks, intellectual history of network thinking or network science and technology. Thanks!
>
> Feng Lin
> The First Clinical School of Nanjing Medical University, China
> Institute of Linguistic Science and Technology, Nanjing Normal University, China

Brian C. Keegan
Ph.D. Student - Media, Technology, & Society
School of Communication, Northwestern University

Science of Networks in Communities, Laboratory for Collaborative Technology