I have concerned on this topic for more than 6 years. I'm a physician in
China and doing researches for language networks, social representation and
 brain network. I have found that many friends who learned the network
analysis were interested in the application aspect of this technique,
however, they doubt the philosophy of network analysis or confuse it with
thinking or ideas of complex system paradigm. In fact, if we concern on
the granularity of concepts in our thinking, we will find that we are
always proposing, finding, discovering, selecting and dealing with
relationships. This kind of thinking are  inherently embeded in our
cognitive system. So what I want is to find some clues for such question:
what happened when we regarded one object as a point, to what discrete
extent an object will be in a continuum  when we will consider it as a
point, what are  neurological or neuropsychological mechanisms  of network
thinking. Of course, these are not only about the SNA, but about the whole
range of network scienceļ¼Œ and the point-line-network is a symbol tool
running inside the human mind, just as a meta metaphor supporting the
cognitive system. Although I have translated the the
*Exploratory Social Network Analysis With Pajek* into Chines and introduced
SNA to many friends in China, there is no one friend want to discuss the
above issues with me. I think perhaps I can find someone in this mail list.
  Thanks!

Feng Lin
The First Clinical School of Nanjing Medical University, China
Institute of *Linguistic Science* and Technology, *Nanjing Normal
University, China*
*
*

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Ruobing CHI Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi, Lin,
> I am learning about this, too. Here is a short list that I have compiled
on the topic. Hope it is helpful:

> Wellman, B. (1983). Network analysis: Some basic principles. Sociological
Theory, 1, 155-200.
> Robins, G., Pattison, P., & Elliott, P. (2001). Network models for social
influence processes. Psychometrika, 66(2), 161-189. doi: 10.1007/bf02294834
> Oliveira, M., & Gama, J. (2012). An overview of social network analysis.
Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 2(2),
99-115. doi: 10.1002/widm.1048
> Marin, A., & Wellman, B. (2010). Social network analysis: An
introduction. In P. Carrington & J. Scott (Eds.), Handbook of social
network analysis. London, UK: Sage.
> Butts, C. T. (2009). Revisiting the foundations of network analysis.
Science, 325, 414-416.
> Butts, C. T. (2008). Social network analysis: A methodological
introduction. Asian Journal of Social Psychology, 11, 13-41.
> Borgatti, S. P., Mehra, A., Brass, D. J., & Labianca, G. (2009). Network
analysis in the social sciences. Science, 323, 892-895.
> Borgatti, S. P., & Foster, P. C. (2003). The network paradigm in
organizational research: A review and typology. Journal of Management,
29(6), 991-1013.