Julija

I would recommend using a nominations method.  You can present the roster with ID numbers and have them name 7 (or 12, or 20, etc.) people in response to various network questions.  You can have them write the ID numbers or optionally ask for names and numbers.

-Tom

From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mell, J.N.
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Sampling a large network

Dear All,

I am planning to conduct a network survey among participants of an intervention before and after the intervention, assessing the change in several kinds of relationships and relating it to different individual variables. I would very much like to use a roster method, but my population is quite large- ca. 350 participants. Is there any way I can approach  this keeping the quality of data high and the drop-out rate low? I thought about sampling, presenting each participant with a random sample from the whole pool but I’m not sure whether this is a possibility. I have also thought to first present the list with the very low-involvement task of checking names that “ring a bell”, thus sorting out null relationships before presenting the actual network questions only with the roster containing the checked names. However, it would then still be 350 names for the first round.

As I don’t have any experience with these issues, I would very much appreciate any tips and experience sharing!

Thank you in advance,

Julija Mell

De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n) is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van dit bericht. Lees verder.
The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. Read more.