Karen,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like a wonderful resource. Do you
know what the price might be?

Lois

On 5/4/2012 10:57 AM, Karen Agee wrote:
> Mishelle,
>
> Good news!  Within a month or so, the College Reading and Learning
> Association will publish (with Cengage Learning) a new /Handbook for
> Training Peer Tutors and Mentors/ with ideas for training tutors in
> all of the areas you mentioned.  I'll attach a list of the contents
> (but email me for info if attachment doesn't show up).
>
> Watch www.crla.net for updates about how to order the Handbook.
>
> Karen
>
> Banas, Mishelle said the following on 5/3/2012 11:29 AM:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am currently looking at enhancing/changing our current ongoing
>> tutor training throughout the year. I had a good foundation left to
>> me when I started this summer. I have almost made it through the
>> first year, and some of the sessions did not go as well as I had
>> hoped. I am looking to change some around for next year, with the
>> same topic, but perhaps new activities, discussions, etc. I will have
>> a lot of new tutors so I feel this is a good time to do it. I am also
>> hoping to make the topic broad enough to also be able to include our
>> academic coaches (mentors) to learn how to work with their students
>> as well.
>>
>> I would welcome any insights you have on what has worked for you -
>> seeing an outline or an activity you do would be a great asset as I
>> look to reformat over the summer. Many of the topics we use are taken
>> from the CRLA certification guidelines as we are working to get our
>> tutor program certified. I am hoping since some of you are already
>> certified, you have some good practices in place.
>>
>> Some topics I worked to address and/or consider addressing are:
>> Critical Thinking; Communication/Listening; Learning Styles/Theories;
>> Working with Students with Disabilities/Diversity; Questioning;
>> Problem Solving; Referral Skills
>>
>> I welcome any other topic ideas also that you have found useful.
>>
>> Thank you, in advance, for your assistance. In my first year I have
>> found this list serv to be a very helpful tool!
>> Mishelle
>>
>> Dr. Mishelle Banas
>> Director of Academic Support Programs
>> Teaching and Learning Center
>> Monmouth College
>> 2nd Floor Poling Hall
>> 309-457-2214

>> web browser to

> browser to

Lois Martin
Director, Academic Resource&  Writing Center
Goshen College
1700 South Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526
574-535-7576

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.