Thanks, Courtney.
I hope your program continues to flourish.
Lois

On 5/6/2012 11:23 PM, Courtney Frederick wrote:
> Lois,
> Fortunately, there is no (direct) cost to our students and to our tutoring budget. It is pretty expensive--I think NetTutor falls mid-range--but our Provost&  IT have been INCREDIBLY supportive. Since we're in downtown Brooklyn, our physical space is very limited&  our students are mostly commuters, so online tutoring is a great avenue for expanse.
>
> As for tutor training, we do it in-house. As for the online tutoring portion, NetTutor offers tutor training as well. Once a core group of online tutors were trained, we began training others, so our OLT team has grown a little each semester.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Courtney
>
> On May 6, 2012, at 8:48 PM, "Lois B. Martin"<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>> Courtney,
>>
>> What is the cost to you or to your students? Do you train your tutors in the Socratic method, or is that done through NetTutor?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lois
>>
>> On 5/6/2012 7:58 PM, Courtney Frederick wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>> This year we've begun using NetTutor, and it's working well for us so far. We've integrated it with our BlackBoard so it automatically shows up on every student's Bb page. It's a little clunky getting students signed in, but that's our fault, not NetTutor's. By going through Bb we can capture every student's use&   keep non-students from logging in without pass codes.
>>>
>>> NT has a great whiteboard interface that has specialized tools for math, chem&   writing. We've expanded their use to include physics&   accounting (we use the math tools), biology (anatomy&   physiology, using the chem tools), and philosophy (which has essentially been writing). You can offer both drop-in&   scheduled sessions, 1-on-1 or groups, Q&A drop-offs, or even audio/visual sessions. We even purchased a few Bamboo tablets, which make using the whiteboard a cinch.
>>>
>>> We've chosen to do all the tutoring ourselves, but NT does offer their own cadre of great tutors, who are really open to following your unique policies/procedures&   who are up on all the now-standard techniques of tutoring (i.e., they won't do students' homework for them, Socratic method, etc.). They even follow NTA's ethics. Their tutors can do all the online tutoring for you, your tutors can use their platform to do the tutoring themselves, or you can opt for a hybrid, which I suspect in the coming year we may do, so we can offer online tutoring late nights&   weekends, when my staff can't do it.
>>>
>>> There is a bit of a learning curve, but then again I have yet to see one service where there isn't. You have to build a culture of online learning, and that takes a little time.

> [...]

Lois Martin
Director, Academic Resource&  Writing Center
Goshen College
1700 South Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526
574-535-7576

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.