Hi Nicole (and Emily),
	We have a student population of around 18,000 students and a
peer tutoring staff of about 15 tutors.  In response to large number of
requests for math tutoring, we started walk-in tutoring about two years
ago.  I don't have the numbers off hand, but we did see a dramatic
increase in use of the Center.  We are open Monday through Thursday, 9
a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.  We staff at least two math
tutors for each hour that the Center is open.  In our classroom
presentations about the Center, we promote the fact that we have tutors
available all the hours the Center is open and that they are welcome to
come and do their homework in the Center and work with the tutor when
necessary.  We have 7 six-foot rectangular tables that we use for
walk-in.  Except for one quarter when we had a rush on physics tutoring,
we have been able to manage.  The math walk-in was originally intended
for our developmental math courses--MATH 089 (Introduction to Algebra),
090 (Elementary Algebra), 091 (Intermediate Algebra) and our General
Education required MATH 102 (College Algebra) but students started
coming in for other courses the walk-in tutors were able to tutor.  This
included biology, chemistry, physics, accounting, statistics, etc.  The
students needed assistance and probably couldn't get an individual
appointment so we allowed them to use the walk-in tutoring.  About 87%
of the tutoring is for math.  We have the students complete a walk-in
tutoring evaluation and the students rate wait time, amount of
assistance, and overall quality at 89% excellent and 10% good.  In our
case, adding math walk-in tutoring has been a savior for our Center in
terms of increase numbers of students using the Center.  Just by having
appointment tutoring, we might not still be in existence because of
having an empty Center.
	If you any other questions, please let me know.
Good luck,
Howard

Howard Masuda, Ph.D.
Director
University Tutorial Center
John F. Kennedy Library, Palmer Wing 1062A
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
(323) 343-3972