Hi there,

I have been approached by faculty in our art department who would like me to provide tutoring for their students in painting, printmaking, and drawing, as well as software applications for their digital media courses (Photoshop, InDesign, Director, etc).  They have outlined several student learning problems in these courses.  Among them: 1) The students come to their classes with so little exposure to any kind of arts instruction that the faculty end up spending all their time on the very basics, including technical issues like how to stretch a canvas, and don't get to the deeper concepts in their discipline; 2) They teach three levels of a course  at one time to fill a section, so faculty are faced with a huge diversity of skills levels in one course.

I'm trying to determine what role (if any) my tutoring program might play in solving the student learning problems the faculty articulate.  My tutoring program's strategic role within my institution is to support student persistence, retention, and graduation rates.  For any new service I start, I need to have data to show that my services are impacting these factors of student success.  The faculty are currently trying to gather local and national data to answer my questions.

I would love to hear from anyone on the listserv who supports art courses with tutoring.  How to you approach it, philosophically?  What data do you draw from?  What courses do you tutor, and what do the tutors focus on with the students?

Thank you,
Sharon

[Email Signature]<http://www.mhcc.edu/lsc>