From: Munoz-Carpena,Rafael
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:18 AM
Subject: Special Seminar this Thursday - Please distribute to all WI -Thanks!

Special Seminar:  Thursday, May 31@2:00 pm in Rogers 122 (ABE department).

High Time resolution data: key to new knowledge in Ecological Engineering and in Environmental sciences

Dr. Francois Birgand, Asst. Professor at North Carolina State University http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/people/faculty/birgand/people/FrancoisBirgand.html

Our current understanding of hydrological processes is rooted in over 100 years of experience and ability to measure water stage and flow rates on a continuous basis.  It is the very nature of continuous measurements and their embedded information that has forged our understanding and modeling of these processes.  Unfortunately, for a lot of nutrients and pollutants, continuous data is still hardly available, although new technologies are emerging.  Because of the partial information available until now, our understanding and quantification of the biogeochemical processes at play in watersheds has been limited and possibly erroneous.  This seminar will go through several examples of uncertainties associated with partial information and of emerging technologies and thoughts that may help bridge the gap.

Please mark your calendars!

For more information or schedule time with the visitor this week, pls. contact: R. Muņoz-Carpena, [log in to unmask]