Hey everyone,

I led three bird walks during Lake Louisa SP's annual Naturefest today.  My wife also led some geo-caching walks, and we spotted a few other birds just driving around the park.  Here is a combo list of everything we saw or heard today:

Wood Stork (20-30)
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Swallow-Tailed Kite (3)
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Mourning Dove
Barred Owl (2 newly-fledged youngsters)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher
White-Eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Purple Martin
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Parula
Eastern Towhee
Northern Cardinal
Red-Winged Blackbird
Boat-Tailed Grackle

As you can see, nothing really unexpected, but people were thrilled, especially by the cooperative owls.  It was really fun teaching kids how to use binoculars and see their faces light up when they got on a bird.  In my third group, a Northern Parula pair put on a really good show!  My first group in the morning also spotted a Bobcat!

Lake Louisa SP is located just south of Clermont on US-27 in southern Lake County.  It is a beautiful, picturesque park that is refreshingly hilly!

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.