Hello BEST,

My name is Candice Prince, and I am an intern with Dr. Wilkie's
BioEnergy Summer School. I am very interested in using cogongrass to
make biofuel, particularly via anaerobic digestion. It is one of the top
ten worst weeds in the world, and poses a huge problem in the
southeastern United States. It produces a lot of biomass, and my thought
is that it might be beneficial to remove it from the natural areas it
invades and anaerobically digest it to make biogas. I have managed to
find one article (here:
http://www.ncsu.edu/bioresources/BioRes_06/BioRes_06_3_2744_Lin_Lee_Simult_Sacch_Fermet_Grass_Bioethanol_1570.pdf)
showing cogongrass has potential as a feedstock for bioethanol, but
have been unable to find any other sources in the literature. I was
wondering if the BEST community might have any thoughts on using
cogongrass to produce biofuel, or know of any research being done?

Thank you for your time,
Candice Prince