It's textbook choosing season, and I hope you'll think about our Networked
book. I taught nicely from the pdfs last year. It gives a good
non-technical intro to social network analysis. And it's less than $20.
Recommended by Ron Burt, Manuel Castells, Ken Frank, Vint Cerf, Clay
Shirky, Howard Rheingold and others. (Full list on Amazon).

Here's the jacket blurb:

Daily life is connected life, its rhythms driven by endless email pings and
and retweets, Facebook updates, pictures and videos to post and discuss. Our
perpetual connectedness gives us endless opportunities to be part of the
give-and-take of networking.

Some worry that this new environment makes us isolated and lonely. But in
Networked, Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman show how the large, loosely knit social
circles of networked individuals expand opportunities for learning, problem
solving, decision making, and personal interaction. The new social operating
system of "networked individualism" liberates us from the restrictions of
tightly knit groups; it also requires us to develop networking skills and
strategies, work on maintaining ties, and balance multiple overlapping
networks. Rainie and Wellman outline the "triple revolution" that has brought
on this transformation: the rise of social networking, the capacity of the
Internet to empower individuals, and the always-on connectivity of mobile
devices. Drawing on extensive evidence, they examine how the move to networked
individualism has expanded personal relationships beyond households and
neighborhoods; transformed work into less hierarchical, more team-driven
enterprises; encouraged individuals to create and share content; and changed
the way people obtain information. Rainie and Wellman guide us through the
challenges and opportunities of living in the evolving world of networked
individuals.

  Barry Wellman

   Just published: NETWORKED: The New Social Operating System.
   Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman. MIT Press.
   http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12791
   http://www.amazon.com/Networked-New-Social-Operating-System/dp/0262017199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325258020&sr=1-1
   http://www.amazon.ca/Networked-New-Social-Operating-System/dp/0262017199/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336697601&sr=1-4