Hi Hyokun,
You can try to visualize this huge network with one of these tools:

* Pajek - http://pajek.imfm.si/doku.php
* GraphViz - http://www.graphviz.org
* Cytoscape - www.cytoscape.org
* Gephi - http://gephi.org
* GraphInsight - http://www.graphinsight.com/

GraphInsight is a C/C++ flexible and scalable application for 2D and 3D
interactive graph exploration that we have developed at the University
of Trento, Italy.

GraphInsight is free to use for research purposes.

Best Regards,
Michele Dallachiesa

On Jun 7, 2012, at 12:10 AM, yyahn wrote:

> A couple of suggestions:
>
> - You can compare the measured clustering coefficient with null
> models (e.g. random graph model with the same degree sequence http://www.pnas.org/content/99/suppl.1/2566.full
>  ). You can also plot and see local clustering coefficient as a
> function of degree.
>
> - Assortativity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assortativity
>
> - One way to visualize huge graphs is getting coarse-grained
> representations such as communities and drawing the relationship
> between them (the network of communities. For example, check out
> Fig. 3 from http://arxiv.org/pdf/0803.0476v2.pdf)
>
> - There are many community identification methods that scale quite
> well. For instance Louvain method is known to scale very well. Our
> link community method can also be applied to networks with multi-
> million nodes if the network doesn't have very large hubs.
>
> Louvain method: https://sites.google.com/site/findcommunities/
> Link community paper: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v466/n7307/abs/nature09182.html
> C++ version of link clustering: https://github.com/bagrow/linkcomm/tree/master/cpp
> A review on community detection: http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.0612
>

> Best,
> yy
>
> --
> Yong-Yeol Ahn
> Assistant Professor
> School of Informatics and Computing
> Indiana University Bloomington
> Web: http://yongyeol.com
>
> On Jun 6, 2012, at 5:17 PM, Hyokun Yun wrote:
>
>> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Dear list
>> members,
>>

>> I would like to gather suggestions on:
>>
>> When confronted by a large network data (1M to 10M nodes, 100M to
>> 1b edges),
>> what are your favorite first steps to understand the data and to
>> figure out the data makes sense?
>>

>> I agree that it may depend on what is the objective of the
>> analysis, but I think there should be
>> certain steps those might be very common in many projects
>> irrespective of what the goal is.
>>

>> Here are a list of things that comes into my mind:
>>
>> 1) draw (in/out) degree distribution and check whether it is long-
>> tailed / follows power-law
>> 2) hop plot (distribution of the number of pairs as a function of
>> geodesic distance), approximated by ANF method
>> 3) number of (weak/strong) components and their sizes
>> 4) apply scalable clustering algorithms (ex: METIS/Graclus) and get
>> profile information of each cluster
>>

>> Followings are some other methods but I am not sure how to apply:
>>
>> 1) calculate approximate clustering coefficient - but what should I
>> do with this number? Compare with clustering coefficients of
>> previously known networks?
>> 2) visualize the graph - but I am not sure whether there is an
>> algorithm which will scale to 1M nodes, and even if there is, how
>> would I make sense out of it.
> [...]

Michele Dallachiesa
PhD candidate

Database and Information Management Group
DISI - University of Trento
Via Sommarive, 14 - 38123 Povo (TN) - Italy
Academic homepage: http://disi.unitn.it/~dallachiesa
Interactive graph exploration: http://www.graphinsight.com