32 Osprey, Yellow-billed Cuckoo on phase 1 bike trail at Lake Apopka (Orange County).

Much of the Lake Apopka Restoration Area has been closed to the public for many years.  Clay Island in Lake County (northwest side) and the North Shore in Orange County have been two areas that have been opened up previously.

A bike trail, approximately 3 miles long, has been opened that allows entry on the east side in Orange County.  The trail starts at Magnolia Park on CR 437 and goes west, south of Hooper Farms Road.  Next year, Phase 2 is scheduled to open that a Saint Johns WMD rep said will extend the trail to Clay Island.

On June 11, I biked this trail.  Species present 41:

Notables:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (image on photostream) 1
Osprey 32
Purple Martin 2 adult, 6 juveniles.  No residential homes or martin houses anywhere near this spot.
Least Tern 2
I was disappointed I did not see any Bald Eagles.  The SJWMD rep said that there are three eagle nests on the property.  I see eagles often on the property.

Other species:

Anhinga 15
Double-crested Cormorant 16
Great Blue Heron 19
Great Egret 6
Snowy Egret 20
Little Blue Heron 2
Tricolored Heron 8
Cattle Egret 16
Green Heron 7
Glossy Ibis 3
White Ibis 8
Limpkin 1
Wood Stork 1
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 4
Red-shouldred Hawk 3
Common Gallinule 6
Killdeer 5
Black-necked Stilt 7
Mourning Dove 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
White-eyed Vireo 2
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 10
Fish Crow 6
Barn Swallow 6
Carolina Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3
Northern Mockingbird 1
Brown Thrasher 1
Northern Parula 2
Northern Cardinal 10
Summer Tanager 1
Red-winged Blackbird 367
Common Grackle 2
Boat Tailed Grackle 55
European Starling 5
Bob Stalnaker
Longwood, FL

Image of Yellow-billed Cuckoo on photostream and in the set "Recent Images"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert-stalnaker/