Richard,

This is a simple task in R - a free statistical package you could download.

I'm making some assumptions about the structure of your data, namely that it is two columns structure like so:

PersonID, Firm
001, ABC Corp.
001, Acme Inc.
002, ABC Corp.
etc.

If so, then you should be able to accomplish what you want with this code:

library(igraph)

# get the data
el <- read.csv("overlappingDirectors.csv")

# read it in as an edgelist
g <-  graph.edgelist(as.matrix(el))

# we need to define it as bipartite by adding a boollean type variable to the vertices
V(g)$type <- bipartite.mapping(g)$type

# for two-mode networks, the adjacency matrix is often called an incidence matrix
inc <- get.incidence(g)

# now output the matrix
write.csv(inc,"incidenceMat.csv")

Let me know if you run into any snags.

-Jesse

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Dmitry Zinoviev <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Sanjay Nayar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Import the data as two-mode agent (director) x resource (firm) into ORA, and
> then fold the network into agent x agent single-mode.

As far as I understand, the two-mode matrix is exactly what he needs,
not what he has.

Richard, I can easily see how to do this in C++ (in fact, I even have
a piece of code just in front of me), but can't think of any other
tools. If this is a one-time conversion, send me your data, I will
convert it.

--
Dmitry Zinoviev
Associate Professor in Mathematics and Computer Science