Subject: Swallow-tailed Kites - 071412 Powerline Rd.- BirdPIX

HI all:
by
On July 14, 12 p.m.– 2 p.m., I ran up to see the Swallow-tailed Kites that have been found on Powerline Rd. & Kettering Rd. in the Booksville area.

I found the following species: Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Swallow tailed Kite, American kestrel, Wild Turkey, mourning Dove, Eurasian Collared Dove, Acadian Flycatcher, Eastern Bluebird, Summer Tanager, House Finch, Eastern Meadowlark.

Last year on July 8, there was quite a few more of the Swallow-tailed Kites. This time there were at least a dozen or so of the Kites. I did not find the burrowing Owl, nor Mississippi kites. At the location where the Kites were observed, I caught a very brief glimpse of a summer Tanager – an all Red bird.  I did hear the call notes and song of this Tanager. I was able to compare this to the vocalizations on my iPod. I also heard what I thought was the call notes of an Acadian Flycatcher.  If this is an ACFL it’s just a little south of the breeding bird range. I heard an Eastern Meadowlark singing. Before heading for home I drove along Croom Rd. did not find much of anything.  Did find a small group Wild Turkeys

Swallow tailed Kite • 071412 • Powerline Rd.& Kettering Rd. – Brooksville, Hernando Co., FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586287020/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586286916/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586286732/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586286636/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586286540/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586286428/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586286174/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586286072/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586285876/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586285764/in/photostream

American kestrel • 071412 • Powerline Rd. – Brooksville, Hernando Co., FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586288404/in/photostream

Wild Turkey • 071412 • Croom Rd. – Brooksville, Hernando Co., FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586285464/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586285224/in/photostream

Eastern Bluebird • 071412 • Kettering Rd. – Brooksville, Hernando Co., FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/7586285650/in/photostream

I used the following equipment:
Canon EOS 50D+EF100-400 mm IS USM • Laliberte 2012

Happy birding.

David Laliberte
Largo, FL

Checkout my birdPIX at: