Hey y'all,

I have received several replies to my sighting of 3 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
last week in s. Pinellas Co. (Weedon Island Preserve).  My feeling was that
they were unusual this time of year in this area.  I checked several
references and found this to be true--by the references--but also heard from
at least one reputable birder who has had them breeding in Pinellas.  This
is no less noteworthy.

The Birds of N.A. (Ellison) notes that their density during the breeding
season across central FL (from approx. Daytona to n. Pinellas and south to
Ft. Myers to n. Broward Co. (excluding Highlands Co. and s.) has a density
of less than 1 per 40 km Breeding Survey Route (USFWS).  Of course, those
numbers change quite a bit during the fall, winter, and spring.

Robertson and Woolfenden (Florida Bird Species) reported "Breeding
distribution extremely patchy, absent from many areas especially in central
Florida."  And, as I had mentioned earlier, Stevenson and Anderson (The
Birdlife of Florida), note it as ". . . an uncommon to rare summer resident
in c. Florida . . ."  They also reported "sight reports of fledglings,
spring 1977, as far south as Naples . . ."  They go on to note other
breeding records which, except for a few in the south, are mostly limited to
Gainesville north and from Jacksonville throughout the panhandle. A map
included in the entry shows a note for summer presence in n. Pinellas and a
breeding presence in c. Pinellas but the text does not mention either and no
references mention s. Pinellas.

There is certainly more in the literature than my brief review and probably
a great deal more that is not in the literature of which subscribers to this
listserve may have personal information.  My overall impression is that, for
s. Pinellas Co. this is a bird worth noting during the summer.  Indications
of its breeding success (as reported by one who responded to my earlier
comments) are noteworthy.

Regards,
Lee Snyder
St. Petersburg