Following up on what Vlado just said, I encountered a similar problem in my
data. It is easy to code relations (Language A=1, Language B=2, Language A
or B=3, Other=4, for example) and read them as line values into Pajek using
Text2Pajek. The line values can then be converted to relation values, or,
alternatively, used to extract different combinations of lines
(Net>Transform>Remove>Lines) to test their effects on other network
variables. You just have to remember that the line values are a nominal
scale and cannot be used in arithmetic operations.

John

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Vladimir Batagelj <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> <<<-------- Revotua Deu-------->>>
> >
> >  Hello!
> >
> > Our data is about sociolinguistic relations of several teenage students
> > (12
> > years old) in sociocentric networks of multiple schools. The
> > sociolinguistic relations have two types of information: relations
> between
> > adolescents and language used in this relation. Not all dyads have
> > relations, and if relations exist, can be in language A or language B.
> Our
> > information can be more complex, because language use is in language A,
> > language B, language A and B, o other languages. But we can dichotomize
> > the
> > data.
>
>   One possibility is to encode your data as a multirelational network
>   with relations
>       ... communicates in language X with ...
>
>   Vlado
>
> --
> Vladimir Batagelj, University of Ljubljana, FMF, Department of Mathematics
>   Jadranska 19, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
> http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN