A relevant paper: http://www.pnas.org/content/106/16/6483.abstract

I have some Python/NetworkX code implementing this algorithm if you're interested.

On Aug 14, 2012 6:37 AM, "Thomas Plotkowiak" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Members,

Are there any guidelines on how to "trim down" networks when one has
weighted edges? I use to throw out edges below a certain threshold
(e.g. users exchanging less than 1 tweet a month or so). The resulting
network gives much better network measures (e.g. betweeness) removing
all these  "clutter" edges from it. Has this procedure been used in
some recent SNA papers ? The only similar filtering application I
found in Tsvetovat's book on social network analysis where he calls
this procedure the "island method". (p 62)

Best Regards
Thomas Plotkowiak

Research Assistant
MCM Institute St. Gallen