***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Following up on what Vlado just said, I encountered a similar problem in my data. It is easy to code relations (Language A=1, Language B=2, Language A or B=3, Other=4, for example) and read them as line values into Pajek using Text2Pajek. The line values can then be converted to relation values, or, alternatively, used to extract different combinations of lines (Net>Transform>Remove>Lines) to test their effects on other network variables. You just have to remember that the line values are a nominal scale and cannot be used in arithmetic operations.

John

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Vladimir Batagelj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<<<-------- Revotua Deu-------->>>
> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>
>  Hello!
>
> Our data is about sociolinguistic relations of several teenage students
> (12
> years old) in sociocentric networks of multiple schools. The
> sociolinguistic relations have two types of information: relations between
> adolescents and language used in this relation. Not all dyads have
> relations, and if relations exist, can be in language A or language B. Our
> information can be more complex, because language use is in language A,
> language B, language A and B, o other languages. But we can dichotomize
> the
> data.

  One possibility is to encode your data as a multirelational network
  with relations
      ... communicates in language X with ...

  Vlado

--
Vladimir Batagelj, University of Ljubljana, FMF, Department of Mathematics
  Jadranska 19, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia