Hi To All,
This opportunity is posted with permission of the listserv owner.

I wanted to let everyone know that the Friends of the Marine Science Center is running another pelagic trip on Sunday, September 16. Last year, the September trip was exceptional. Below is a summary of last year's trip. On nearly this same date as this year's trip, we had a record-setting 45 Black-capped Petrels -- the most Black-capped Petrels ever seen in one day in Florida! To top it off, we had a Sabine's Gull just 10 miles offshore. You can read about that trip below.  I hope that you will come out with us. It promises to be another exciting adventure.

Email me if you would like to sign up. Contact me regarding the cost of the trip. We will leave at 4:00 a.m. and return at about 7:00 p.m.

Thanks,
Michael

On Sunday, 9/18/2011, 43 intrepid birders braved the winds and waves out of Ponce de Leon Inlet, Volusia County, Florida, to join the Marine Science Center’s pelagic trip.  Despite steady 15 knot winds out of the Northeast and seas at 4-6 feet, we had an extraordinary pelagic trip. We began to find pelagic species much farther inshore than usual. Starting with 10 Red-necked Phalaropes, next six Black Terns, then 3 Sooty Terns, and a Cory’s Shearwater. Soon we were meeting regular groups of  Cory’s Shearwaters and Sooty Terns. Mixed in with them were Audubon’s Shearwaters, Wilson’s Storm-Petrels, Leach’s Storm-Petrels and then Black-capped Petrels. We continued to meet these groups and the number of Black-capped Petrels continued to increase. By the end of the trip we had found about at least 45 Black-capped Petrels, making this the largest number of Black-capped Petrels ever seen in one day in Florida. Other highlights were 125 Cory’s Shearwaters, 2 Great Shearwaters, 8-10 Audubon’s Shearwaters, all three storm-petrels and three high-flying Magnificent Frigatebirds and about 60 Sooty Terns.

The highlight of the day may have been a bird found on the return, only about 10 miles from the Inlet. A group of Black and Common Terns were feeding on a baitfish pod when Mitchell Harris and Bob Wallace shout “Sabine’s Gull.” A beautiful juvenile Sabine’s Gull sat on the water and let us get incredibly good looks at this rare visitor.
It was an incredible finale to a great pelagic trip.

Species List
Black-capped Petrel  45
Cory’s Shearwater  125
Great Shearwater 2
Audubon’s Shearwater  8-10
Wilson’s Storm-Petrel  14
Leach’s Storm-Petrel  3
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel   1
Magnificent Frigatebird  3
Sooty Tern  60
Bridled Tern  4
Black Tern  150
Common Tern  80-100
Forster’s Tern  6
Royal Tern  12
Sandwich Tern  6
Laughing Gull  8
Sabine’s Gull  1
Herring Gull   1
Pomarine Jaeger   3
Red-necked Phalarope   20
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1 (This beautiful male landed on the boat and went into the cabin!)
Waterthrush  sp.
American Redstart
Possible Yellow Warbler

It was a spectacular day!

If you have an interest in the trip email me at [log in to unmask] for more information.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center