Hey everyone,

I decided that I needed to go somewhere and practice my shorebirds, so I headed out to the Space Coast today.  However, I couldn't help myself and I ended up beginning the day at Turkey Creek Sanctuary in Palm Bay to look for migrant landbirds not too much happening - but it was nice to be there again!  I think it had been 2 or 3 years since I had been there.  I then stopped at Viera Wetlands (also about two years since I had been) to see if the Click Ponds had any shorebirds around.  The ponds seemed a little too high for shorebirds, but some of the nearby sod fields had a few shorebirds that were visible with a scope.  After a rainy drive around Viera Wetlands itself, I headed up to Biolab Road in Canaveral National Seashore to spend about two hours looking mostly at shorebirds.  I don't know if I've quite mastered the Semipalmated Sandpiper vs. Western Sandpiper separation yet, but by the end I was fairly confident I could sort out who was who.

Turkey Creek Sanctuary:

Black Vulture
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Red-Eyed Vireo (2)
Blue Jay
Barn Swallow
Carolina Wren
American Redstart (1 male, 1 female)
Northern Parula (2)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (1)
Prairie Warbler (1)

Viera Wetlands/Click Ponds/Sod Farms:

Black-Bellied Whistling-Duck (only 1)
Mottled Duck (55, by far the most I've ever seen at one place and one time)
Blue-Winged Teal (5)
Pied-Billed Grebe
Wood Stork
Double-Crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Swallow-Tailed Kite (1)
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Western/Semipalmated Sandpiper (too far for me to tell for sure, even with my scope)
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper (3)
Mourning Dove
Common Ground-Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Fish Crow
Cliff Swallow (1)
Barn Swallow
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Prairie Warbler (1)
Northern Cardinal
Red-Winged Blackbird
Boat-Tailed Grackle

Canaveral National Seashore (Playalinda Beach entrance) - Entrance Road and Biolab Road:

Blue-Winged Teal (50-60)
Northern Bobwhite (heard only)
Wood Stork
Double-Crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Brown Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Great White Heron (1, along Biolab)
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
White Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill (5)
Black Vulture (one had a yellow wing tag: MTC.  Anyone know this study?)
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Cooper's Hawk
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Semipalmated Plover (15-20)
Piping Plover (1, non-banded)
Killdeer
Black-Necked Stilt
Spotted Sandpiper (3)
Lesser Yellowlegs (15-20)
Ruddy Turnstone (5-7)
Sanderling (2-3)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (from what I could tell, 50-70)
Western Sandpiper (again, from what I could tell, 30-40)
Least Sandpiper (20-30)
Stilt Sandpiper (5)
Short-Billed Dowitcher (3)
Laughing Gull
Caspian Tern (1)
Forster's Tern (4)
Mourning Dove
Common Ground-Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker (1)
Eastern Kingbird (3)
Florida Scrub-Jay (3)
Fish Crow
Cliff Swallow (2)
Barn Swallow
Carolina Wren
Northern Mockingbird
Eastern Towhee
Northern Cardinal
Red-Winged Blackbird
Boat-Tailed Grackle

Turkey Creek Santuary is located on Port Malabar Blvd in Palm Bay.  Viera Wetlands is near the end of Wickham Road in Viera, northwest of Melbourne.  Biolab Road is located in Canaveral National Seashore South Unit (Playalinda Beach), northeast and across the causeway from Titusville.  All of these sites are in Brevard County.

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.