Hey everyone,

I did a little birding at Leu Gardens this morning.  Truth be told, one of my favorite parts about birding here is that it doesn't open until 9 AM; I can sleep in a little and not feel guilty that I'm not out birding "early enough!!"  Anyway, I arrived a little after 9:30 and walked the garden paths until almost 1:00.  NOTE: if anyone ever goes birding at Leu, don't ignore the parking lot!  ALWAYS carefully check the trees all around the parking lot (including along the entrance road) before entering the gardens proper.  Sometimes this is where I get my best mixed flocks.  There was a decent mixed flock here today, as well as a few along the paths inside the gardens.  A few migrants made an appearance on the day's list:

Double-Crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Egret
Green Heron
White Ibis
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher (2)
Yellow-Throated Vireo (1)
Red-Eyed Vireo (7)
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Barn Swallow (1)
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Northern Mockingbird
Black-and-White Warbler (2)
American Redstart (4: 3 males, 1 female)
Northern Parula (11)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (2)
Prairie Warbler (2)
Northern Cardinal
Boat-Tailed Grackle

Interesting misses today included Pileated Woodpecker, Brown Thrasher and Red-Winged Blackbird.

Leu Gardens is located near the intersection of US-17/92 (Mills Ave.) and Virginia Ave. in the Colonialtown neighborhood of downtown Orlando, north-central Orange County.

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.