Hello BESTers,

The issues of food waste and hunger are closely linked; as children we
were all told to clean our plates, there's starving people around the
world.  While the vegetables we left on our plates as kids might not
have been able to feed the world, unharvested produce left to rot in the
field can certainly go a long way.  Crops that are unharvested, called
bypass, is a significant source of food waste, and is often overlooked
because it is not accounted for in food waste sent to landfills.  A new
project in Minnesota, a partnership between farmers, food processors,
and food banks, has helped to "rescue" 600,000 pounds of bypass sweet
corn, and was used for 465,000 meals (I'm hopefully assuming these meals
were more than just corn).  We all know the US is a major culprit for
food waste, and, despite the obesity epidemic, the US has 6.8 million
households with very low food security, according the the USDA.
Salvaging unused food to donate to these hungry people helps take a bite
out of these two problems.

Have a great weekend,
Ryan

http://www.startribune.com/business/170914761.html?refer=y

Potential waste turns into 465,000 meals
Star Tribune
Mike Hughlett
September 23, 2012