Anhinga kettles are a common component of migration in NE Florida and have been documented numerous times on Big Talbot Island during raptor watches. From memory, they are more common in spring than fall, but I would have to check our records to confirm this. It is possible that Anhinga kettles are sometimes mistaken for Double Crested Cormorant since the two species resemble one another at high elevations. However, the former tend to circle more to gain altitude and advance as a loose group compared to the latter's more structured formations.

An interesting aspect of lone Anhingas soaring at high elevation is that the skinny head and neck tend to vanish and their silhouettes mimic soaring Peregrines.

Pat Leary, Fernandina Beach, Nassau County

-----Original Message-----
From: Florida Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lenore McCullagh
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 4:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] Huge Anhinga kettle in Clay County

Dear All,

Today about 9:30 AM we saw a huge kettle of Anhingas over Moccasin Slough Park along US 17 just South of Orange Park. We estimated that there were about 60 Anhingas present in the kettle which slowly moved to the West and then out of sight. To the East of this area lies the St Johns River and to the West Doctors Inlet.

Several months ago we witnessed a similar site in the same place. We estimated about 30 Anhingas present in that kettle. I can dig up that date if anyone is interested.

We spend alot of time outside but Anhinga kettles are new to us. Can anyone speak to the frequency of this event? We assumed these birds are migrating. I che ck out the Cornell site and Stevenson and Anderson. Apparently there is not much information about Anhinga movements in FL but S&A lisit movement in March and April and then S eptember and October.

We found the sight thrilling.

Good birding to all.

Lenore McCullagh

Orange Park, Clay County FL

To set nomail: Send [log in to unmask] Message: set floridabirds-l nomail; To reset mail:  [log in to unmask] MESSAGE: set floridabirds-l mail; To unsubscribe: [log in to unmask] MESSAGE: unsub floridabirds-l; To write listowners: [log in to unmask]