Dear Daryl,

From your project description, I think that you may find useful some of the articles of geographer Mei-Po Kwan (Ohio State University) about 3D space-time representations of human activities within their geographic environment. Although she deals much more with movement than with social networks, her visualizations will be suggestive for your work.

I hope that this information is helpful.
Jack

Dr. J. B. "Jack" Owens, Ph.D.
Director, Geographically-Integrated History Laboratory
Research Professor of History, Idaho State University, USA
Lead PI, SOCNET Project, CDI, NSF (2009-2013)
Co-coordinator, DynCoopNet Project, TECT, ESF/NSF (2007-2010)
Guggenheim Fellow (2005-2006)
National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow (2004-2005)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://idahostate.academia.edu/JBJackOwens