Jessica,

See the following chapter, and look at the 2006 paper by Jessica Flack et
al. for knock-out experiments (the citation is in the chapter).

Best,

Katie

Faust, Katherine
2011.  “Animal Social Networks.”  Chapter 11, pages 148 - 166 in The SAGE
Handbook of Social Network Analysis, John Scott and Peter J. Carrington
Eds.  Los Angeles: Sage.